- Introduction to Office Copiers & Printers
- Types of Copiers & Printers
- Multifunction Copiers & Printers
- Black And White Copiers & Printers
- Colour Copiers & Printers
- Commercial Copiers & Printers
- Desktop Copiers & Printers
- Office Copiers & Printers
- A3 Multifunction Colour Laser Printer: Buyers Guide
- High-Volume Copiers & Printers
- Network Copiers & Printers
- Laser Copiers & Printers
- Inkjet Copiers & Printers
- Wireless Copiers & Printers
- Wide Format Copiers & Printers
- Main Copier & Printer Brands
- New or Used Copiers & Printers
- Printer & Photocopier Lease through CopierChoice.
- Choosing the Right Copier or Printer for Your Business
- Key Features, Functionality & Software
- Printer Connectivity
- Security & Data Protection
- Copier & Printer Costs Simplified
- Printer Warranty & Maintenance Explained
Choosing Between New and Used Copiers and Printers
When buying business-grade copiers and printers, deciding between purchasing new or opting for used/refurbished models requires careful consideration. Both options have advantages and drawbacks, and understanding these factors can help businesses make an informed choice.
There are many different categories of used copiers and printers; ex-demo, copiers, showroom models, display copiers, factory recertified copiers, refurbished copiers or plain old second-hand used copiers without having anything done to them. They are all different, and you must understand what you’re looking at when considering purchasing a used copier rather than a new one.
Pros of Buying New:
- Reliability and Warranty: New equipment comes with manufacturer warranties, providing peace of mind against potential defects or malfunctions. This means you’re covered for repairs or replacements during the warranty period.
- Latest Technology: New models often incorporate the latest advancements in printing and copying technology, ensuring optimal performance, enhanced features, and compatibility with evolving business needs.
- Longevity: New equipment generally has a longer operational lifespan compared to used models, reducing the need for replacements in the near future.
- Customisation: Purchasing new allows you to customise specifications and features according to your specific business requirements.
Cons of Buying New:
- Higher Initial Cost: New business-grade equipment often comes with a higher upfront cost, which could strain budgets, especially for small businesses.
- Depreciation: The value of new equipment depreciates quickly after purchase, potentially impacting its resale value in the future.
Pros of Buying Used/Refurbished:
- Cost Savings: Used or refurbished equipment typically comes at a significantly lower price point compared to new models, offering immediate cost savings.
- Warranty and Testing: Reputable sellers often provide warranties and rigorous testing for used/refurbished equipment, ensuring functionality and reliability.
- Entry-Level Access: For businesses with budget constraints, used equipment offers access to higher-end models that might otherwise be financially out of reach.
Cons of Buying Used/Refurbished:
- Limited Warranty: While warranties are often offered, they might not match the coverage and duration of those for new equipment. Repairs and replacements might be more frequent.
- Technology Lag: Used models might lack the latest features and advancements, potentially limiting their compatibility with evolving business needs.
- Uncertain History: The equipment’s previous usage, maintenance, and potential wear and tear might be unclear, potentially leading to unexpected issues. Ask if the machine has a service logbook. Be wary if it doesn’t, and its history cannot be proven.
Things to Consider:
- Seller Reputation: Choose reputable suppliers known for quality refurbished equipment. CopierChoice has pre-vetted all suppliers we work with.
- Usage Requirements: Evaluate your business’s print and copy demands to determine if a new or used model can meet your needs.
- Total Cost of Ownership: Factor in maintenance, repairs, and potential upgrades when comparing the overall cost of new and used equipment.
- Future Scalability: Consider whether your chosen equipment can accommodate future growth and evolving technology trends.
In conclusion, choosing new and used business-grade copiers and printers involves balancing cost, performance, and risk factors. While new equipment guarantees the latest features and reliability, used or refurbished models can offer significant savings without sacrificing functionality, provided you conduct thorough research and choose a reputable seller.
CopierChoice was founded in 2010 to simplify the process of obtaining quotes for office copiers and printers, including used and refurbished models. Prices can differ significantly depending on brand, model, features, and options. Our Quote Request service connects you with 3 to 4 suppliers who will offer customised quotes matching your business requirements.